New England Road Trip

Over the last year and a half, Andrew and I have been riding the train (or bus) between New York and DC, spending time together every few weeks when breaks in our crazy work and school schedules line up. So when Andrew suggested we take a road trip up to Maine before my fall semester of grad school started, I was so thrilled for a mini getaway.

roadtrip-1.jpgThat’s us outside a bed and breakfast we stayed at in Maine. We were so fortunate to have such gorgeous weather all week!

Andrew flew into DC after visiting his parents in Georgia, and the next day we packed up my Honda Fit and began our journey north.


Our first stop was Providence, Rhode Island. We stayed at the Dean, a trendy lil boutique hotel in downtown. Complete with neon lights, a cocktail lounge and coffee bar, the Dean was every bit as fun as we’d hoped. I’d go back to Providence just to stay there again.

Sign near the hotel’s coffee bar.

We had dinner at a seafood restaurant downtown, then had cocktails at the Magdalenae Room at the Dean.

Downtown Providence. I loved the string lights stretching across one of the streets.
Exterior of the Dean.

The next day, we drove to Camden, Maine, stopping for lunch in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, along the way. Portsmouth was such a cute town. I didn’t think I could live year-round this far north, but man, Portsmouth is tempting.

The view from the road on our way to Maine.
Dos Amigos in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

We had delicious tacos at Dos Amigos, then walked along the water at Prescott Park before continuing onward.

The rest of the drive was a little slow because of some traffic, but the scenery along the way was absolutely beautiful. We drove through downtown Camden, another adorable town, as we made our way to the oceanfront bed and breakfast.

The Inn at Sunrise Point.

The owner of the inn was so friendly and welcoming. She offered us a glass of prosecco, which we sipped while relaxing on Adirondack chairs that overlooked the ocean.

View from our balcony. We loved the chairs but didn’t love all the pesky bugs flying around us at night.
I loved the attention to detail at this b&b!

We also wandered along the rocky beach, though it was kind of difficult to do in sandals and boat shoes.

The rocky beach, just steps from the b&b.

For dinner, we went to Waterfront. We sat on a deck surrounded by boats, and we watched the moon rise in the distance. It was quite a show!



The dinner was great too. We both got lobster because, well, when in Maine…

IMG_5257At night, we sat on our private balcony and the moon’s reflections dance over the ocean. It was so beautiful.

As seen from our balcony.

In the morning, we had a wonderful breakfast of scrambled eggs over polenta and a fresh fruit salad. Those Maine blueberries are incredible.

We sat outside for a while longer, reading the paper and some Maine magazines. We only had a two-and-a-half hour drive to our next destination, so we weren’t in any rush to leave.

A house on a road we took to get to downtown Camden.

In the afternoon, we made it back to Portsmouth and had lunch at a Thai restaurant. Soon after, Andrew’s friend Adam texted him saying he had finished work for the day and was on his way home. So, we headed over the bridge to Kittery and met up with him!

In Portsmouth, looking over at the Memorial Bridge that leads to Badger’s Island.

We had dinner at a great little bar in Kittery and spent most of the night watching baseball and some Olympic events. In the morning, we got bagels from Bagel Caboose. The blueberry cream cheese, obviously made with Maine blueberries, was a definite highlight.

The drive home wasn’t as easy — there was lots of traffic and rain, but I was glad we planned for one night in NYC. We parked my car at Metropark Station in New Jersey and took an Amtrak into the city. We kept things simple by ordering dinner from Sticky Rice, one of our favorite restaurants, and watching more of the Olympics.

I stopped in Bel Air the next day and caught up with my mom briefly before continuing back to College Park. The drive back to campus was pretty rough; there were a lot of accidents on the way. Even with the long drive, I felt so relaxed. I can’t believe year two of grad school is starting in just over a week, but I think I’m ready.

Leave a note

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s